These resources have helped me to plan my road trips with memorable experiences and some truly magic campsites.
FREE and CHEAP CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA
- Find a camp: The most comprehensive and detailed resource for finding campgrounds. If you don’t find what you’re after here, try the following.
- Caravan On Tour: Scroll down to find the map. Not all free campgrounds are on the map, but there are a lot.
- Australian Campsites: A map of campgrounds. They do not list rates. The campsite I looked up was (upon further research) $37 per night. I would not call this particularly cheap. But this is a good resource for locating campgrounds on a map.
- Explore Australia: More campsites appear as you zoom in. One of the best sites for finding campsites in the Northern Territory.
HIGHLY RATED CAMPGROUNDS AND CARAVAN PARKS IN AUSTRALIA
- Let’s Go Caravanning and Camping
- Trip Advisor. You’ll find camgrounds and caravan parks listed under the ‘speciality lodging’ option.
BEACH CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA
- National Geographic’s top ten
- Also refer to the resources listed above.
FIND CAMPING IN NATIONAL PARKS
- New South Wales: Map view. Well done NSW!
- Queensland: No map view for the whole state, but they do have maps for the regions listed on the page.
- Victoria: No map view
- Tasmania: No map view
- Northern Territory: No list of campgrounds let alone a map view. Try Find A Camp and Explore Australia.
- South Australia: No map view.
- Western Australia: Under menu item ‘camp finder’ you have the option of a map view. Gold star to WA!
- Australian Capital Territory: Map view! Not all those mapped are in national parks.
CAMPERVAN HIRE IN AUSTRALIA
- Camperman Australia: Sydney | Melbourne | Adelaide | Gold Coast | Brisbane | Airlie Beach | Townsville | Cairns
- The best credit cards for US travelers – those with zero transaction fees and the best rewards for air travel and hotels.
- The top US travel insurance companies compared. Which one is best for solo travelers? For families? For long trips? For adventurers?
BUYING A USED CAMPERVAN
- Camperman sells used camper vans to those travelling 3 – 12 months and will buy it back when you’re finished.
FINDING THE BEST THINGS TO DO
- Google ‘top things to do in [name of place]’. Trip Advisor is normally at the top of the page.
- Lonely Planet for well-written articles on places and their highlights.
- On Pinterest, key in the name of your place to get a visual impression of it and gather ideas for your itinerary.
- Do the same on Google images.
- Happy Cow for vegetarian and vegan friendly restaurants
- Yelp for reviews from diners.
- Trip Advisor for reviews from diners.
3 thoughts on “Resources”
I was interested to read ;
On the bedarra island in Queensjand info on your website –
Helen wiltshire “poet” with an extract of a poem she wrote.
Helen passed away in 2011 and( I am her daughter ) were not aware of her poetry – could you please assist us with uncovering the poetry as we would love to know of this history. Helen Wiltshire is well known for her beautiful artwork depicting the tropics of North Queensland and the islands. We continue to showcase the art at Helen Wiltshire Gallery in Mission Beach.
Hello Amanda, I contacted the owners of East Bedarra Island Retreat, but they do not know of any other poetry by Helen. You might find something if you Google her name. Good luck and thank you for your message.
Hi Amanda, I found this. Poems by Helen Wiltshire https://www.pilgrim.org.au/publish/downloads/Here's%20a%20New%20Day%20WEB%20VERSION.pdf