These resources have helped me to plan my road trips with memorable experiences and some truly magic campsites.
FREE and CHEAP CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA
- Find a camp: The most comprehensive and detailed resource for finding campgrounds. If you don’t find what you’re after here, try the following.
- Caravan On Tour: Scroll down to find the map. Not all free campgrounds are on the map, but there are a lot.
- Australian Campsites: A map of campgrounds. They do not list rates. The campsite I looked up was (upon further research) $37 per night. I would not call this particularly cheap. But this is a good resource for locating campgrounds on a map.
- Explore Australia: More campsites appear as you zoom in. One of the best sites for finding campsites in the Northern Territory.
HIGHLY RATED CAMPGROUNDS AND CARAVAN PARKS IN AUSTRALIA
- Let’s Go Caravanning and Camping
- Trip Advisor. You’ll find camgrounds and caravan parks listed under the ‘speciality lodging’ option.
BEACH CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA
- National Geographic’s top ten
- Also refer to the resources listed above.
FIND CAMPING IN NATIONAL PARKS
- New South Wales: Map view. Well done NSW!
- Queensland: No map view for the whole state, but they do have maps for the regions listed on the page.
- Victoria: No map view
- Tasmania: No map view
- Northern Territory: No list of campgrounds let alone a map view. Try Find A Camp and Explore Australia.
- South Australia: No map view.
- Western Australia: Under menu item ‘camp finder’ you have the option of a map view. Gold star to WA!
- Australian Capital Territory: Map view! Not all those mapped are in national parks.
CAMPERVAN HIRE IN AUSTRALIA
- Camperman Australia: Sydney | Melbourne | Adelaide | Gold Coast | Brisbane | Airlie Beach | Townsville | Cairns
BUYING A USED CAMPERVAN
- Camperman sells used camper vans to those travelling 3 – 12 months and will buy it back when you’re finished.
FINDING THE BEST THINGS TO DO
- Google ‘top things to do in [name of place]’. Trip Advisor is normally at the top of the page.
- Lonely Planet for well-written articles on places and their highlights.
- On Pinterest, key in the name of your place to get a visual impression of it and gather ideas for your itinerary.
- Do the same on Google images.