Mungalli Falls and Mungalli Creek Dairy

Mungalli Creek Dairy is more than organic, it’s biodynamic. That means, not only do they use natural alternatives to chemical fertilizers, pesticides, etc but their sustainable philosophy is all-encompassing. 60% of the land is given over to dairy cows while the other 40% has been fenced off so it can return to its natural rainforest, providing a habitat for the native animals.

All photographers have been credited with their Instagram names.

The rolling green hills of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: Sera_loves_crocs
The rolling green hills of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: Sera_loves_crocs

Happy Chickens, too

The chickens are fed on local organic corn soaked in a special probiotic brew overnight to make the nutrients more easy to digest. They forage in lush chemical free pastures al day.

Sampling the delights of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: Shannon_Griffiths
Sampling the delights of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: Shannon_Griffiths
Sampling the delights of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: TiffyTins
Sampling the delights of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: TiffyTins

Due to the predominance of Jersey cows in the heard, the milk is rich and creamy making it perfect for yogurt and cheeses. At Mungalli Creek Dairy they don’t believe in additives such as emulsifiers, gelatins or colorants, and you can taste the difference! Try the products for yourself at “Out of the Whey”, Mungalli Creek Dairy’s boutique cheesery and teahouse. They offer free cheese and yoghurt tasting and serve lunches and morning & afternoon teas. I always take tea with scones and clotted cream, or a slice of quark cheesecake, out to the picnic tables overlooking the rolling green hills.

The happy cows of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: LeriQuiQui
The happy cows of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: LeriQuiQui
The happy cows of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: TayylaaLala
The happy cows of Mungalli Creek Dairy. Queensland, Australia. Photo: TayylaaLala

Mungalli Falls

Nearby are the Mungalli Falls, a three tiered waterfall as well as a rippling cascade a little further upstream.

Start at the Mungalli Student Village and Wilderness Retreat for a view from the top of Mungalli Falls. Take the track down hill passed the cascade and an obstacle course (Go ahead. Try the obstacle course. You know you want to!) until you reach the base of the falls.

Mungalli Falls. Queensland, Australia. Photo: ConradsMango
Mungalli Falls. Queensland, Australia. Photo: ConradsMango

Mungalli Creek Dairy and Mungalli Falls are part of a large 197 km circuit of stunning swimming holes, waterfalls, summit climbs, rainforest walks, and lookouts that encompasses Wooroonooran National Park. I call it the Misty Mountains Loop.

More Information

Campervan Hire Australia: One of the best ways to see Australia is to road trip in a campervan. For trips of three months or more, it’s better value to buy a used campervan and sell it back when you’re finished. There are plenty of free and low-cost campervan-friendly campgrounds in the region including Babinda, Wooroonooran National Park and the Atherton Tablelands.

Where to Stay: If this is part of a romantic getaway, consider Misty Mountains Rainforest Retreat, which is located right in the middle of the Misty Mountains Loop. It is so private you get your money back if you see another soul, which makes it perfect for honeymoons, marriage proposals, and wedding anniversaries.

Happy Travels!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s