Families will love Adelaide! For those on a budget, there’s plenty of free and inexpensive things to do that will interest the kids as well as the grown ups.
Below is a list to help you and your family put together an itinerary. I’ve divided them into regions so you can ditch the car and walk from one point of interest to the next.
If you like to see everything laid out on a map, I’ve created one at the end of the article. Everything mentioned here, and more, is mapped there to make planning your day out easy.
- Adelaide Zoo – pet the animals and walk through an aviary full of parrots. This is a zoo where you can get close and interact with many of its inhabitants.
- Adelaide Botanic Gardens – Three large greenhouses, an ancient avenue of figs with buttress roots to play in, interactive exhibits will keep the kids amused. there’s a cafe and two restaurants on site. It’s also a perfect place for a picnic.
- Art Gallery of South Australia – check their website for kids creative activities.
- South Australian Museum – Very hands on and beautifully presented.
- Migration Museum – The exhibits here – such as pipe collections and the personal possessions of immigrants – tell the stories of immigrants to South Australia. There are often cultural activities for the kids.
- State Library of South Australia – a gorgeous building with many exhibits, wings to explore, and a beautiful bean bag filled kids reading room.
- Elder Park – hire a paddle boat and have fun on the water, or hire bicycles to explore the green band of parkland that encircles Adelaide.
- Adelaide Oval – take a tour behind the scenes and climb the curved roof line.
- Adelaide Central Market – Stroll through the colourful market place, buying small samples of food to enjoy a picnic in Elder Park.
- Haigh’s Chocolate Factory – Free tours of the chocolate factory and free samples afterwards.
Short day trips
- Port Adelaide – sit in the cockpit of plane at the Aviation Museum, explore a wooden ketch at the Maritime Museum, watch dolphins, take a ghost tour, and stroll through lanes full of history and charm.
- Glenelg Beach – An amusement park, a beautiful beach, swimming with dolphins, sky diving, and more. Glenelg is the perfect place to enjoy a sunny day.