On the border of Queensland and New South Wales are the coastal twin towns of Coolangatta and Tweed Heads. They merge as one to form a laid-back region of great surf beaches, swimming beaches, coastal walks, water sports, tropical fruit, cafes, restaurants and plenty of things to do. I’ve put together a list of activities that will keep you occupied for a week.
1. Surf, swim, or laze on the beautiful beaches of Coolangatta and Tweed Heads
2. Climb Fingal Head to Fingal Head Lighthouse
3. Stroll along the Walk on Water Walking Track and visit the Minjungbal Aboriginal Cultural Centre.
5. Feed rainbow lorikeets, kangaroos and emus and interact with other Australian wildlife at the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
6. Explore Australia’s surf heritage at Surf World.
7. Walk to Point Danger Lookout and visit the Captain Cook Memorial. From this vantage point you can watch the surfers at Duranbah Beach, spot whales and dolphins, and enjoy the coastal vista. On a fine day there are views from Surfers Paradise to Byron Bay.
8. Get up close to dolphins and whales on a dolphin and whale watching tour.
9. Explore the Tweed River, see some local wildlife, and learn about the region on a boat tour
10. Learn the heritage of the region at the Tweed Heads Historical Society
11. Get your adrenalin rush sky diving over the Gold Coast
12. Have a picnic lunch or BBQ and take in the views from Kirra Hill. With two gas BBQs a sheltered picnic table and sweeping views up both sides of the coast, dining tables don’t get much better than this!
13. Kayak or paddle board from Cudgen Creek near Kingscliff through changing landscapes of tea tree, mangroves, and subtropical rainforest to Cudgen Lake.
14. Pick up some organic local produce at the Farm Stall in Cudgen.
15. Try the regional produce in one of the local restaurants such as the Greenhouse Factory Restaurant and Bar
16. Treat yourself to one of the region’s day spas. The Spa at Salt is part of Peppers Resort. Sambara Spa is in a cottage by the sea. Both spas use cruelty-free products that respect the earth and help communities.
- Tweed Heads Visitor Information Centre
- Coolangatta Visitor Information Centre
- 7 Best Caravan Parks, Gold Coast
- The legendary Sydney to Gold Coast drive – 15 unforgettable days
- The Gold Coast to Brisbane Scenic Route
- The Brisbane to Airlie Beach drive
- Campervan hire Gold Coast
- Used campervans for sale
- Camper rental Australia
- Compare Top Campervan Hire Companies in Australia